You must have the proper insurance before you drive in another country. Unlike in the U.S., where as an uninsured driver you can “only” lose your license and everything you own in a lawsuit, abroad you can lose your license and everything you own in a lawsuit, and get thrown in jail, lose your visa, get deported and thus toss away your job.

Compare Multiple Quotes And Save Hundreds

It is very unlikely that the car insurance you have in the U.S. will be any use to you overseas. The best way to start would be to ask a friend, colleague or some other person in the host country what others have done. Sometimes the host country will require you to purchase insurance locally, making the choice of what to buy pretty easy.

If you are in the military, work for the U.S. Government in many capacities or are retired military, about the best place you can start looking into insurance is with USAA. These folks specialize in writing all kinds of insurance for Americans overseas. They have agents in many countries, know how to handle mailing stuff abroad and have beaten customer service into such fine shape that everyone else should give up and move to Antarctica. I have no financial interest in recommending them, but I have used them exclusively for my auto insurance overseas for my entire career without any problem.

The only problem with USAA is that they only sell insurance to a select group of folks, mostly U.S. military (as well as some retired military, some other government employees and a few special circumstance folks; contact them to see if you qualify).

In case you don't rate, here are some other on-line sources to look into. When you speak with these folks, be sure to tell them which country you are moving to, as requirements and costs can vary significantly.

User Feedback

Related Driving Articles